Saturday, 10 February 2007

Shaving

I just don't get why scraping hair off your face is the norm. It's unpleasant, expensive, and time-consuming. Zits, ingrown hairs, stubble, cuts... ugh.

What particularly irks me is that all men have beards, but should you chose to reject this idiotic practice, only then are you referred to as "having a beard" or, more pertinently "hairy".

Women, by and large, seem to feel free to opine that they don't like beards. I suppose I could use this as a springboard to tell the person that they should depilate their legs, underarms and pubes, but then I don't like that either.

It's funny, as a child I remember dreading being hugged by my father at certain times of the day because of the porcupine effect of a few hours growth. I never got one complaint from my girlfriends about prickliness, and considering the areas my face went, I think they'd know. Beards are soft, stubble is ghastly.

And the expense issue is no joke. It's over US$15 for 3 freaking blades here, and the cheap stuff is facial genocide. Aftershave, shaving cream... pricey. I paid $20 for a buzz-cutter 6 years ago, I do a full trim once a month, with occasional scissor maintenance on the strays that pop up from time to time. I've got days of my life and thousands of dollars on all the "normal men".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There are quite a few women out there that are pro-beard. Its definitely on the rise.
It's masculine and feels great against the skin.

I'll take the extra sensation of stubble any day over the clammy smoothness of the clean shaven.
I'm a firm believer in "it's there for a reason, don't mess with it".